Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 18, 2012

DBS, Speech and Voice

One of my biggest fears of having DBS, (after personality change), was loss or change of voice.
Being an ex-teacher, I had learnt over the years, to make myself heard in a crowd; to make people listen.
Public speaking was never daunting to me, whether it be at my son's year 12 graduation, as part of The Ambassador Program for Parkinson's Victoria, or talking on stage at last year's Unity Walk at Federation Square in front of over 2000 people.

Talking on stage at Unity Walk 3 weeks after DBS.
However, lately I wonder if my voice is going soft.
Either that, or my husband is going deaf. I find he's continuously saying, "what?", and I'm repeating myself a few octaves louder.
As the voltage is turned up, my voice seems to go down.
And my tongue seems to be in the way more and more.
At my last visit with my neuro, he turned the voltage up about 1.0. I immediately slurred my words, and didn't know where to put my tongue. Although he turned it down, I have been slowly increasing my voltage by 0.2 on each side, and wonder if I'm getting quieter.
My friend Yvonne, who is a speech therapist, says she is watching out, and doesn't see much change, but on this vacation, with just my husband and I, I am really noticing it.
I am not too worried about it, just pointing out may occur with DBS. I'm sure that when I mention it on my next visit to The neuro, he will twig it. I'll keep you informed on that one.
Next blog will be about coping on vacation. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. KARYN...I HAVE NOTICED I SPEAK LOUDER NOW TO BE HEARD....MY WIFE SAYS TO TONE IT DOWN AND I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST THE ITALIAN IN ME...LOL...DON'T WORRY....

    ReplyDelete

  2. My father was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,i recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs there help.

    ReplyDelete