Total Pageviews

Monday, January 30, 2012

Not happy (in) Jan

I and am very aware of the 2 different audiences who may read his blog; 1. People Living with Parkinson's, many who are considering DBS, and 2. My fabulous and concerned friends, and so I try my best to keep a positive outlook. However, I feel that I would not be doing either groups justice if I only painted the good, whilst experiencing bad.
This blog reflects my feelings at this moment; of course I expect it to be temporary, and to be fixed.
I have been feeling like s**t for the past 2 months.
Now don't think that I regret DBS, or anything like that; no freezing, toe curling or involuntary movements is great.
My walking has been an issue for a while. I slide around on polished floors, shuffle on carpeted ones, and find that walking Molly around the block is an effort.
Yon, (my ever patient husband) drags we around Princess Park with Molly about 3 times a week but I am relying more and more on his arm.
Not having my 'dyskenesic daily workout' any more, has resulted in me putting on weight.
Whilst pilates and water aerobics are in the pipeline, the thought of exercise is daunting.
And my confidence is down.
Bike riding is shortened or halted, and things like 'chuking a U turn', leave me in a state of panic.
My mood for the past 2 months has been 'flat'. If someone else tells me thats normal, I'll flatten THEM!
The temperature has reached about mid 30sC or high 90sF for 5 consecutive days.
Last night things came to a head whilst I attended Yoni and Lauren's wedding.
Yoni was the 1st child in our crowd to be born. His mother, Lynda has been a close friend since we met in grade 1. Lynda was just 22 when she had Yoni; the eldest of 4 gorgeous children, and I was most excited to attend his wedding.
THe first dance bracket I managed; dancing with women only, a slow shuffle with so many on dance floor. By the 2nd dance bracket, I just couldn't do it, and sat it out with Yon.
The third was mixed dancing, and it was then that I lost it. I really wanted to dance, but couldn't. As everyone gyrated enthusiastically around me, I clung to Yon and couldn't move my feet. They were glued to the floor, and I could only manage a small step here or there, without moving my feet much.
I sat down and the tears flowed.
The wedding was beautiful in all ways except for the way I felt, and hopefully no-one noticed my predicament. Except of course Anita, another very 'old' and dear school friend, always perceptive and supportive.
I really hate to sound so negative.
I go to see my neurologist tomorrow, and hopefully we will be able to resolve this, and my next blog will be a positive one.
Lynda's Aunt & I wore the same dress!

1 comment:

  1. KARYN..THANKS FOR THE HONESTY.....THERE IS GOOD AND BAD IN EVERY PROCEDURE OR SURGERY AND FOR THOSE WHO ARE CONSIDERING DBS THEY SHOULD GET FEEDBACK SUCH AS YOURS AND OTHERS TO MAKE A VALID DECISION....YOU'RE ONE TOUGH WOMAN...HOPE YOU GET BETTER

    ReplyDelete